Sunday 18 May 2008

Manchester United Vs Chelsea - a clash of styles

Written by Yas

21st May 2008 will guarantee one thing: an English team will be European champions. Will it be Chelsea, the well oiled ruthless machine? Or will it be my team, United with a style that is more pleasing on the eye?

I hope United don't try to play like they did against Barca; they simply aren't equipped to play that sort of containment game unlike Chelsea, for whom it is second nature. It's all very well to sit back on a one nil lead, and also to concede the majority of the possession but a more potent team than Barca would have unlocked our defence eventually, whereas with Chelsea I think they are the masters at protecting their lead.

This is not to say that Utd can't mix their style of play, because they can, but to simply defend completely negates our natural attacking instincts, and I hope Fergie encourages our big guns to exert themselves. After all there can be no bigger occasion for a club side.

It is time for Ronaldo to show that he can do it on the big stage (although admittedly he has done pretty well for his national side) but I think the three key players for Utd will be Rooney, Hargreaves/Anderson and Vidic.

Rooney is the embodiment of passion on the football pitch, albeit sometimes a bit
too much. If he keeps our front line ticking and has one of those days then I think it will make a big difference.

I think Fergie will go with three central midfield players to combat the major strength (and advantage) Chelsea have - their midfield engine. I think he'll go for Hargreaves over Anderson. Hargreaves is slowly beginning to show his worth and he could be THE crucial player for United to ensure victory.

Vidic is key in combatting Drogba. If he can keep him relatively quiet (no small feat) then Utd have a big chance.

All this is very easy to say but a lot harder to do. Chelsea certainly have the better of Utd in recent seasons and they will be very much up for 'revenge'.

It's gonna be tight, and it will be nerve-wracking. Those who know me won't be surprised that my instincts point towards a Chelsea victory.

5 comments:

Daz said...

Good post, mate.

At first I thought that Chelsea had the edge but more and more it sounds like they are a team unravelling around the seams.

Keep Ballack quiet, attack and be brave and I think the day will be United's. Sit back back and Chelsea will nick a goal - first goal will be very interesting and dictate the game.

As long as it isn't as painfully dull as last Seasons FA Cup final, it should be very exciting!

Come on Wednesday!

Yas said...

Last year's FA cup final was mind numbingly awful wasn't it?

Daz said...

Shocking stuff. I know there was an element of fatigue but this is the second big name final after Arsenal v United a few years back that has sadly crashed and burned from the weight of it's hype.

I suspect this time though the stakes are slightly higher with both teams desperate to get theirs hands on the CL, there is no reason with over a weeks rest that both teams wont be refreshed and up for this.

coolgirlsar said...

It's going to be a hard game to watch. I have absolutely no idea which way the game will go but I hope it is going to be a great game to watch and one where Man U do win. I have come to an agreement with Daz though, if come 9pm Man U are loosing badly to Chelsea we can swap tv sides and watch The Apprentice. LOL

Yas said...

Ha ha! The Apprentice is such compelling TV but I wouldn't be able to concentrate on it. Even if we were losing 3 nil, a part of me will still be hoping that we can come back